May 01, 2023
MS Outlook is currently one of the best email client applications available to the user on which they can set up any email service provider and access their mail to perform their daily operations. From Gmail, Yahoo Proton mail, and Yandex to any other mail, users can configure and set up email. All they need to do is to fill in the proper configuration details. However, sometimes, even after they have provided all the correct, user always encounters some issues while accessing their Mails on Outlook. One of the common issues that user faces when Outlook repeatedly ask for a password is the major highlight of this discussion. Here we are going to discuss the topic “Outlook Keep asking for Password Error,” including various causes along with different resolution methods.
Why Outlook Keeps Asking for a Password
Some common causes that prompt the Outlook application to repeatedly ask for a password while login or any other activity are listed below:
- You might have enabled the option for Outlook to remember the password.
- The password which has been saved in Outlook for your email account is different from your current one.
- Corrupt files or details in the Outlook application might have been triggered to ask for a password continuously.
- You need to update the Outlook Email client to the latest version.
- Logon Network Security has a value other than Anonymous Authentication.
- MS Outlook is not enabled to use NTLM authentication.
- The Antivirus in your system might be restricting Outlook from running.
- Outlook Prompts for credentials once you have changed your Domain Password.
Troubleshooting Methods to Take When Outlooks Keeps Asking for a Password
Various troubleshooting methods can be applied to fix the Outlook application when asking for passwords continuously:
Change the Email Client Settings in case Outlook is Configured to Repeatedly ask you for Credentials:
There can be a possibility that Outlook settings might have been set to default, in which it repeatedly asks for credentials. To fix that, follow the given steps:
- Open Outlook and then click on the File option. After that, follow the given path to open Microsoft Exchange settings
- Choose your exchange account and then select “Change.”
- Now, click More Settings to open a dialog box on the screen. There select the security tab and under the User Identification check mark on the given box:
- “Always Prompt for Logon Credentials”
- Click OK to save changes.
Change the Logon Security Settings to Anonymous Authentication.
You need to change the security settings from the Control panel, for which the steps are listed below:
- First of all, close the Outlook application,
- Now open the control panel in your system and then navigate to the Mail option and open it.
- Now select the option “Show Profiles,” choose the Outlook Profile and then open the properties.
- Click on the option Email Accounts and then select Change and then Change Accounts.
- Now click on More Settings, after which a dialog box will appear on the screen titled Microsoft Exchange. In the dialog box, select the security tab.
- Now choose the Logon Network Security Option, select Anonymous Authentication, and then OK.
- Click on Next, then Finish, and then close the Account settings.
Back up your Outlook Registry Files
There is a possibility that a corrupt registry file can trigger an error in the Outlook application. To fix that, you need to create a backup for your registry file, for which the steps are given below:
- Type Registry Editor in the search menu in order to access the application.
- In the Registry, locate the following subkey:
- In the Edit Menu, right-click on the option New and then click on DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Now, you need to enter “AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover” and then press enter. Right-click on the option and then select Modify.
- Then under the value data, type 1
- Now restart your system.
Reset Credentials from the Credentials Manager
- Open the Control Panel in your system, then click on the option “User Account,” where you can find the option “Credentials Manager” or “Manage your credentials.”
- Navigate to the option “Windows credentials” and then “Generic Credentials.”
- Now, you need to locate the email account credentials for which Outlook is continuously asking for the password.
- Click on the Email ID and then select Remove.
- Now click OK to save changes.
In case the issue still persists, then select all the files starting with “MicrosoftOffice15_Data:SSPI” and delete them.
Configure Outlook to use NTLM Authentication.
The NTLM stands for New Technology LAN Manager, a security protocol to verify user identity and keep their mailing activity secure and confidential. While using Outlook, if you receive any error related to security, like password requirements continuously, then you need to enable NTLM authentication, for which the steps are listed below:
- On Outlook, click on the File option and then select the exchange account for which you need to enable NTLM authentication.
- Now, after that, click on the given options one by one:
- Change/More Settings/connection/Exchange Proxy Settings
- This will open a new dialog box Titled “Microsoft Exchange Proxy Settings.”
- Under the section “Proxy Authentication Settings,” switch to NTLM authentication. Click OK to save changes.
- Now restart Outlook to see if the issue still persists.
Various other measures which can be taken to fix Outlook errors are listed below:
- Update the Outlook application to the latest version.
- Check for any pending update in the windows, and in case any update is available, then complete it.
- Fix your internet connection.
- Uninstall and Reinstall the Outlook application in Windows.
- Reconfigure your Email account again in Outlook.
On an Ending Note
In the above blog, we have listed all the possible causes due to which Outlook repeatedly asks for a Password. Along with that, we have provided various troubleshooting methods which you can take based on the causes which trigger the Password Error in Outlook. Now, if you case any query related to any issues with Outlook, you can reach out to us at the number given below. Also, you can connect with us on Live chat, where our customer support expert will reply to you instantly.