QuickBooks gives errors in different situations. For every situation, there is a certain type of error code available. Error codes in QuickBooks can be spotted based on a number of different conditions. These errors are also identified by these conditions. Error code 6190 QuickBooks is one such error code. This particular error appears when QuickBooks software tries to open the company file but eventually fails to access it. And this happens when there is a mismatch between the company file and the transaction log file. When this happens, this error is likely to appear on your screen. This usually occurs when you try to update the transaction log file without updating the QuickBooks company file.
This alteration can cause QuickBooks to display on your screen “QuickBooks is unable to open the company file 6190 error“. In this write-up, we have tried to list down the reasons, effects, and solutions to 6190 QuickBooks error. To be able to eliminate this error, you should read this blog to the end.
Reasons for Error Code 6190 QuickBooks
Even before we get into how this error code affects users and what methods can be employed to handle this issue, we need to first understand what the possible causes behind the QuickBooks error code 6190 are. Let us understand the reasons for this particular error. They are as follows-:
- Logging into QuickBooks company file in a single-user mode can cause issues
- Incorrect or improper installation of QuickBooks installation files can lead to problems
- Transaction Log File not matching with the QuickBooks company file.
- Shady malware or viruses leading to attacks on certain computer files and programs.
- QuickBooks files or programs deleted from the system.
- Failure to update QuickBooks can also lead to error code 6190 being displayed on the screen.
How to Resolve 6190 QuickBooks Error?
Solution 1: Running Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
Malicious software or viruses can have a degrading effect on the QuickBooks program. Therefore, it is advised to run a complete scan of your computer through antivirus or the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. This tool scans all the files and programs on your computer and ultimately prevents you from outside attacks. If you still face any issues, you need to move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Repairing Windows Registry Files
This particular error code 6190 can be resolved by either editing or fixing the Windows registry files. To do it manually, please follow the given below steps-:
- From the bottom left of your computer screen, click on the Start button
- Type Command Prompt in then box
- Enter Ctrl, Shift, and Enter combination when opening Command Prompt. This will give you an option to click as an admin. You can log in as an admin by filling in the admin credentials.
- In the command prompt window, fill “Regedit”
- Press Enter
- You will see the Registry Editor window. Choose the key that is linked to the error code 6190.
- Click on the Export button
- Click on Save
Do make sure that you save the file with .reg extension.
Solution 3: Installing the latest updates for Windows
For programs installed on your system to work efficiently, downloading and installing the latest updates are mandatory. You also need to ensure that your Windows operating system is running up to date. Follow the below-mentioned steps to check that you have the latest updates installed.
- Click on the Start menu
- In the Search bar, fill in Update and press Enter
- This will show you the latest updates for your Windows computer. If you find any updates, make sure you install them immediately. You just have to click on the “Install Updates” button to install them.
- When the installation is complete, verify whether you have resolved the error by launching QuickBooks once on your system.
Solution 4: Clear Temporary Files and Folders
If there have been junk files on your system for too long, it may have been one of the reasons why you might be facing this error. Make sure to clear all such temporary files and folders to keep your system away from unwanted errors and discrepancies. Below mentioned-steps can help you do that-:
- Access the Windows search bar
- Type Run in the search bar
- Open the Run window as an administrator
- In the Run window, type “cleanmgr.”
- Hit Enter
- A disk cleanup window will appear. Now, you can select the junk size you want to remove and click on OK
After deleting the junk files from your system, always restart your computer and check whether you have resolved the issue or not.
Solution 5: Updating QuickBooks to the latest available version
Intuit releases the updates for QuickBooks. You must always keep your QuickBooks updated to the latest available version. This can help fix certain errors and sometimes also QuickBooks error 6190. Please follow these steps to update QuickBooks to the latest version.
- Open up the “Start menu.”
- Locate QuickBooks and right-click on it to run it as an administrator
- Now, click on the Help menu
- Next, click on the “Update QuickBooks Desktop” option
- Next, access the Options tab
- Now, choose the “Mark All” option
- Click Save to save the changes
- Again, click on the “Update Now” button
- Now, select the “Reset Updates” first and then choose “Get Updates” option.
- Finally, hit the close button
Solution 6: Running QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Running QuickBooks File Doctor Tool can help fix certain issues that you can find with QuickBooks software. It lets you find and repair the issues in the Company file and QuickBooks program as a whole. These steps will guide you to successfully download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
- First of all, download the QuickBooks Tool Hub on your Computer
- After it is downloaded, open up the tool
- Access the Company File in QuickBooks and navigate to the Company file issues option
- Click on “Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.”
- Click Browse and select the company file that you want to repair
- Make sure that the “Check your file” button is selected and press the “Continue” button
- Log in as an administrator and finally click on the Ok button
Solution 7: Fix the Mismatch
- As mentioned earlier, a file mismatch can often give errors. In the case of QuickBooks error code 6190, there is a mismatch between the TLG file and the company file. When the Transaction log file does not match with the Company File, then it is error code 6190 QuickBooks . Perform the following steps to fix this mismatch.
- First, launch the QuickBooks application and the company file
- Locate the file. Ensure that the transaction log file has the same name as the company file, but their file extensions are different
- Rename the files again as QBW.ND and TLG file
Solution 8: Restoring Windows System
System restoration should be used as a last resort. When no other troubleshooting method or solution works, then this system restoration procedure should be used. Let us understand this with the help of a few simple steps.
- Click on the Start menu
- Fill in “System Restore” in the search bar and press Enter to open it
- Open the system restore and follow the instructions as displayed on the screen.
- Put in a password, if required.
- Restore your system to an earlier setting when the application was working properly. Restoration could take several minutes. Once it is done, you can go ahead working with the QuickBooks application.
Solution 9: Running QuickBooks Refresher Tool
If the aforementioned methods don’t work, then you must use the QuickBooks Refresher Tool. Before using QuickBooks Refresher Tool, you should make sure that QuickBooks Desktop should not be active on any system. QuickBooks should be logged out from all the computers.
- From the Intuit website, download the QuickBooks Refresher Tool.
- Ensure once that you have logged QuickBooks out from all the computers.
- After the QuickBooks Refresher Tool is downloaded, find the “qbrefresherv1.exe file” in the downloads folder and open it.
- After this, run the QuickBooks Refresher Tool by choosing the “Fix my QuickBooks” tab
This tool repairs the issue and refreshes the QuickBooks. It takes some time to perform its operations. Also, you can check if the QuickBooks is being run in single-user mode or multi-user mode. This can also have a bearing effect on the QuickBooks errors.
Related Page: How to Create a Backup of QuickBooks Files?
QuickBooks users often stumble upon errors and issues when there is a mismatch between the files in the application. QuickBooks error code 6190 is one such error that creeps up when there is a mismatch between the transaction log file and the company file. We have tried to list down all the methods that are sufficient for you to be able to fix this issue. However, if an issue arises even after this, then you must contact our team, who is trained in solving such QuickBooks issues. You can always contact us through call, chat, or email service. Feel free to chat with us or send us a mail.