If you are WD external hard drive user then you must be surely aware of the troubles that you have to face at some point in time. The hard drive is external peripherals and can misbehave sometimes. So if you have no idea how to troubleshoot your WD External Hard drive that is not recognizing then refer this post till the end. You can also contact Western Digital support to avail quick help from the technical executives who have full knowledge about the WD Hard drive and its related issues.
Steps to Fix WD External Hard Drive not Recognized Error
Step 1: First and foremost, if the hard drive is not recognizing or fails to show up on your computer then you must change the USB port or connect it with another new set of cables to see whether it shows up in the PC or not.
Step 2: Remove and clean up any existing virus from your device – when your computer gets affected by the virus or malware then it becomes tedious for it to recognize. So with the help of an antivirus software, you need to clean the threats.
Step 3: Turn on USB Root hub to make WD external hard drive recognizable –
- Click start then type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press enter
- Open the device manager > Choose USB controllers
- Right-click USB Root Hub and click properties then power management
- Uncheck allow the computer to turn off the device to save power
Making your WD External hard drive detectable on PC
Solution: Change the drive letter to make it show up
- Right click on This PC > Manage > Disk management
- Find and right click the WD External hard drive > select change drive letter and path
- Assign new driver letter to your WD external hard drive and save the changes
- You will be able to see the drive show up.
It is highly advised to dial Western Digital phone number that stays available 24×7 online. The certified technicians will provide you with an adequate solution to make your hard drive detectable on your computer.