If you are looking for durable printers that can print with great efficiency, HP printers got your back. These printers are made with durable materials and have a good service life. Besides, HP printers come with a myriad of the advantages, such as automatic updates, high-quality printing, enhanced security and several others.
However, you may encounter errors when connecting your HP printer. Therefore, this post elaborates on the best solutions to resolve the HP printer not connecting to computer issue. Let’s get started.
Possible Reasons Behind Your Printer’s Wireless Connection Issues
The printer won’t connect to computer issue can be triggered due to a multitude of possible reasons. Check the below-given list:
- A damaged USB cable is one of the most apparent reasons behind HP printer will not connect to USB error.
- It is also possible that your printer may not be detected by your computer.
- Issues with your printer driver can also give rise to this printer error.
How To Troubleshoot the “HP Printer Won’t Connect” Problem?
Now that you know the possible reasons for your printer issue, you can suppress them by applying the best solutions. Below are some of the best solutions that can resolve your issue:
Solution 1: Resolve Printer Connection Issue
To run your printer smoothly, you need to make sure that it is properly connected to your device and with the network connection. To do so, you have to:
1.1: Restart Your Printer
Sometimes a simple restart can fix your printer. In such a case, just turn your printer off, wait for a few seconds and then turn it on. Once started, wait until it is ready to work.
1.2: Check For The Connection Issues
If your printer is connected to a USB cable, the stable should be intact. If damaged or broken, you may not be able to connect your printer to the computer using it. You also need to check your USB port and clean it in order to prevent the port from connecting to the USB.
If your printer is connected to the system via Bluetooth or wireless network, you need to check the manual for connecting your printer wirelessly. The reason to follow the manual is that the connecting steps can vary from one printer to the other.
1.3: Look For The Network Connection Issues
Sometimes, network issues can also prevent your printer from connecting to your computer; make sure that it is connected to a strong and stable Internet connection. Once the HP printer not detected on the network issue is resolved, try to print a test job.
Solution 2: Make Sure That Your Printer Driver is Updated
An outdated printer driver can also prevent your printer from connecting. Therefore, you need to look for the missing updates. Updating your printer driver to the latest release available can resolve the error.
Moreover, working with an updated printer driver gives the best printing experience. There are two ways to update the printer driver – Manual & Automatic. Check below:
2.1: Update Your Printer Driver Manually
Follow the below-described steps with the utmost attention:
- First of all, you need to locate your printer’s model number. You may find your printer’s name and number on the Printer or Device and Printer panels that you have previously opened.
- Thereafter, go to the HP printer’s website and click on Support and Driver. Here, click the Download Driver and Software button. Also, type your printer’s name and number in the search area. Click Go to move ahead.
- Proceeding further, enter the operating system’s version to get a relevant update for your driver. Once you are done, click download the driver located underneath the Driver section.
- Once the printer driver is downloaded, run the installer to complete the setup procedure. Restart your printer and it is done.
2.2: Update Your Printer Driver Automatically
Below are the steps for automatic printer driver update:
- Make sure that your printer driver is set to download the software automatically.
- Now change the settings of device installation in Windows and then open it again.
- From within the Windows Device Installation Settings, select Yes and then click Save Changes to end the task.
Solution 3: Check For The Common Printer Issues
HP printer issues, such as HP printer not detected on computer can crop up due to printer issues. To keep such issues at bay, you need to ensure that your printer is in optimal shape. Follow the below stated steps:
- Open Control Panel on your computer and then look for the icons there.
- Next, hit the Tools and Printers option.
- Here, you need to locate your printer, right-click on it and select Troubleshoot from the drop-down list.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the HP printer not connecting to computer problem.
Solution 4: Restart Print Spooler Service Manually
The print spooler handles the paper printing tasks sent from a computer to a printer or print server. If this service is not working, you may not be able to see your printer and it will be disconnected. Restarting the print spooler can fix it:
- Open the Run window (Windows + R) in the first place.
- Now type MSC services in the given Runbox and click the OK button.
- Here, move down and try to locate the spooler service option.
- If the service is running, right-click on it and then select Stop when a drop-down list opens.
- Thereafter, right-click on the services and click Start to restart the print spooler.
- In the end, restart your computer and make sure that the printer is connected to the computer.
To Wrap It Up!
This comprehensive blog can help you with your query on how to reconnect a wireless HP printer when it is not connecting to your computer. For additional assistance, you can get in touch with our adept professionals.
Frequently Asked Question:
When your printer is offline or not connecting with the computer, you need to look for the possible reasons and troubleshoot it. Below are some of the best practices you may try when your printer is offline:
- Reboot your printer as turning it off and then on can fix the problem at instances.
- If the router signals are weak, moving your printer close to the router can help.
- Remove your printer in Windows and then re-add to check if it resolves the problem.
- If you are using outdated drivers and firmware, update them.
If your printer is not communicating with your computer, then you may not be able to perform your printing tasks. Therefore, it is crucial to resolve this problem. There are two apparent reasons behind this issue.
The first one is the power cable or USB cable of your printer. On the other hand, if your printer is wireless, it is possible that the printer is not connected to the local network.
If your computer is not recognizing your HP printer, it means that the printer drivers are not installed on your PC. The best way to deal with this issue is to install them. To perform this procedure, you need to connect your printer to the computer and turn it on. Thereafter:
- Click on the Start button and then hit the Settings option.
- Here, select Devices and then Printers ; Scanners.
- Moving ahead, select Add a printer or scanner.
- Now follow the on-screen prompts to finish the task.
- Wait for a few minutes until it is ready, and then start working with your printer.
There are multiple reasons that can change your WiFi network settings. In such a case, the first thing to try is to press and hold the WiFi button for five seconds until a prompt pops up on the Control display.
Now in the pop-up, you need to press OK, and it will reset the network settings to defaults. Once done, you are all set to utilize your printer.
HP printers are one of the most preferred printers that have a huge user base across the globe. When using the printer, users encounter multi-faceted issues such as the HP printer not connecting to computer.
HP printer offers various options for users to contact when they need help. By visiting the HP help page, you may find various options to connect with a professional. When the requests for help come in high volume, we also help as an independent assistance provider.