Finding it difficult to add or remove password of TurboTax file? You have landed at the right place. We will share some easy ways to troubleshoot this problem so that you can proceed further with the task you are stuck at. Before resolving the error, you need to know the possible reasons that can evoke it, such as a malicious virus attack, erroneous settings, or human error. The troubleshooting steps are well-described in this post. Alternatively, you can contact us on our TurboTax helpline number and get help from our experienced professionals.
What Are the Possible Reasons Behind the TurboTax Password Error?
To cure an ailment, it is important to know the primary causes behind it. The same applies to the TurboTax as well. If you are unable to add or remove password of TurboTax file, you need to know the possible reasons behind it. Check in the below-given list:
- Having an unstable Internet connection.
- Detrimental attack from virus or malware.
- Improperly configured device settings.
- Human errors can also evoke this problem.
Procedure to Resolve the Password Issue
After knowing the apparent reasons behind this technical issue, we can proceed further with the error-resolution steps:
Step 1: Restart Your Computer
If you are dealing with a technical issue, a simple restart of your computer can resolve this problem. Restarting the PC terminates the tasks that are making it sluggish or hampering its performance. Besides, it also frees up the spaces utilized by an undesired application. Even if it does not resolve the issue, it can optimize the ways you can perform the troubleshooting.
Step 2: Make Sure That You Have A Stable Internet Connection
After system restart, make sure that your device is connected to a strong and stable Internet connection. If not, you need to connect your device with a strong Internet. Once done, try to eliminate the issue by performing the relevant steps.
Step 3: Perform the Troubleshooting Solution
Follow the below-given steps to fix the problem:
- First of all, launch the TurboTax application on your computer or mobile device.
- Next, open the tax file you want to protect by adding the password.
- Moving ahead, click on the File menu and check the drop-down list.
- You will now see the password option on the list.
- After clicking on it, you will see a pop-up window along with some other options.
- Here, you will find the ‘Add Password’ option where you can get the task accomplished.
- Proceeding further, you will also get the option to remove the password from your TurboTax file.
- You may now use the previous steps to add a new password.
- Choose the option of ‘remove password’ and a popup window will appear on your screen where you can remove the password to finish the task.
How to Recover User ID or Password in TurboTax?
If you forgot your User ID or Password in TurboTax and need to recover it, follow the below-given steps to resolve the error:
- In the first place, go to Intuit’s account recovery page.
- You will now be prompted to enter any of the following contact information: Phone Number/ Email address / User ID.
- After providing your contact information, follow the on-screen instructions with the utmost care.
- Based on the information you have provided, Intuit will customize it and decide if it has recognized your device or not.
- After completing this process, you will receive a code, which will help you in your account recovery. You will get to see a list of the accounts associated with the information you have provided.
- In case, you are still facing issues in your account recovery, select Verify my account a different way on the account recovery page.
- In the alternative method, you need to answer some additional questions to verify your identity.
Steps to Recover Password on Your Desktop
To recover your forgotten password on your PC, you can perform the below-given steps:
- In the first place, select Forgot Password in the password request pop-up.
- Here, you will need to answer your security question.
- Answering the questions correctly will get you back into your account.
- After that, you can select Password from the File menu in case you want to update or remove your password altogether.
How to Ensure the Safety of Your TurboTax Files?
If you want to keep the security of your TurboTax files intact, follow the below-given considerations:
Enable Multi-factor Authentication
It will help you to access your account securely. You need to enter your password and a unique, single-use code sent to your trusted email address or device. Alternatively, you can answer security questions to get into your account.
Enable Touch ID
It is a type of fingerprint password that gives you access to your account on your smartphone via the TurboTax application.
The procedures discussed in this post will help you to add or remove the password of the TurboTax file. Besides, if you need to recover your user ID or password, this post has got you covered. Furthermore, it offers additional security tips to keep the security of your TurboTax account intact. If you need further assistance, get in touch with us using our TurboTax helpline number.